Will 2020 be the decade of flexible work? If we are looking at the covid19 crisis we are sure, that the remote work is here to stay, and almost every employee is working from home. The long face-to-face days in the office could cease to be ‘normal’ in the coming years, these are the reasons.
The concept of remote working was born precisely with this intention of meeting the needs of employees and offering them freedom to work independently, an increasingly widespread trend, now it’s a forced reality. But, what is happening with the productivity, with the team performance and with the remote leadership capabilities of our leaders?
What do you need to be an out-performer leader, and an out-performer team member?
It’s a mix of open and kind leadership, emotional intelligence, mindfulness, sports, music and having fun all together. Because, all of us, we are human being, and we need strong relationships (it’s not equal to friendship) to perform.
LEADERSHIP ON REMOTE TEAMS AND ORGANIZATIONS
The Basics of Remote Leadership
- Manage expectations with your team.
- Clear goals and simple objectives.
- Give direction to people.
- Build relationships outside tasks and classical meetings.
- Talk about what are you doing, why are you doing, how are you doing, what do you need every day with your team members.
- Self-management and learn how to manage healthy and toxic conflict.
- Master the Emotional Intelligence skills.
- Make time to relax, do sports, the day before create your tasks for the next day.
- Listen to podcast, or to music to have fun while working from home everyday.
- Recognize that every human being has emotions, needs, and feelings that are as sensitive as your own.
- Try to understand the rules and norms of the culture or cultures of any person with whom you communicate.
- Respect the customs and traditions of others.
- Listen actively when someone from another culture is talking to you.
- Learn to cope with uncertainty.
- Understand and appreciate your own culture.
- Avoid stereotyping people who are different from us.
- Be aware of your own ethnocentrism.
SPORTS FROM HOME TO STAY HEALTHY
LISTEN TO MUSIC OR PODCASTS TO HAVE FUN AT WORK
- PODCAST Business of Collaboration. Spotify, Stitcher, iTunes, Android, via RSS
- PODCAST Girlboss Radio
- PODCAST Zubi Podcast (Spanish)
- PODCAST Freakonomics
- PODCAST Harvard Business Review
A DESK FOR WORK FROM HOME TO HAVE YOUR WORKPLACE